If you want to start a gorgeous garden on the low maintenance side, a garden of succulents – including cacti – may just be perfect for you. Though these plants do need some tender love and care like most plants, they require very little maintenance in the form of small doses of water.
Luckily, you don’t need any experience or skill to plant a succulent garden – it’s very easy!
Things you will need:
- Gardening gloves
- A pot or planting container
- Succulents (aloe vera, cacti, zanzibar gem, etc.)
- Rocks and/or pebbles
- A hand shovel
- Soil specifically for succulents
- Rocks or sand (optional)
Once you have these, you’re good to go!
Follow these steps:
- Make the soil and drainage. Drainage allows for water to pass through the soil so your succulent plants do not rot. To make one, fill the bottom of your pot or container with rocks and/or pebbles. Afterwards, add the soil. Succulents don’t need much soil as they tend to have very shallow roots, but a good rule of thumb would be to put soil that’s 3-4 inches deep to make sure they don’t accidentally fall over.
- Arrange your succulents. Use your creativity and style to design your succulent garden! After arranging them, pull the plants out of their starter pots one at a time and, using the hand shovel, dig a little bit of soil from the pot you just created to make room for the succulent’s roots. Place dirt around each succulent plant, patting down to lock the plants in place.
- Decorate. If you want to be a bit more creative about it, you can go ahead and even design the top of the pot. You can add rocks, tiny pebbles, sand, colored beads, or even crystals if you want! You can even decorate the pot itself by tying ribbons around it.
And there you have it, your very first succulent mini-garden! You can repeat this process again and again if you want more succulent plants around your home. Additionally, these succulent-filled pots are great for home decoration, so you can opt to hang them or use them as a beautiful table centerpiece. Enjoy!
Should you require some inspiration in decorating your home, our interior designers at Gawin.ph will be thrilled to help! Just submit a request today and get free quotes to compare!
written by Bea Luna