If you have guests coming over and find yourself in a sticky situation because your couch suddenly got stained a few hours before they arrive, don’t worry. There are several quick, homemade fixes you can use to clear stains in no time (and, no, you can’t flip over the cushions – that’s only going to make it worse and even harder to clean).
Cleaners you can use:
- Baking Soda Paste – Add a quarter cup of baking soda to 1/8 cup of water in a bowl and then mix until the solution forms a paste. Using the baking soda paste might take a few hours to overnight for drying, but it can easily get out stubborn stains.
- Mild laundry detergent solution – Mix mild laundry detergent with warm water until it creates suds. Make sure to only use mild laundry detergent as anything too strong might ruin your couch.
- Baby wipes – If the stain is not that serious or large, baby wipes are sufficient because they’re gentle enough for couches.
Steps for cleaning:
- Get rid of excess solids like dust or dirt first before applying any detergents or cleaning solution. You can do this by using a towel, tissue or vacuuming. This allows you to ensure that damage to your sofa is minimized as much as possible beforehand.
- Apply detergents or cleaning solution to the stain(s). Make sure you don’t use too much though. Excess detergents or cleaning solutions might damage the fabric of your couch. Spray again if the stain is still not removed, and continue blotting to remove the stain.
- Dry. If you used detergents or liquid solutions, you can dry the damp spot by using a hair dryer so you don’t leave water marks. If you used baking soda paste, you can leave it overnight to dry naturally. Once the area is dry, make sure to give wipe off any residue to give your couch that all-new finish.
Removing stains from furniture can be a real tricky thing to do. If you feel like you might need a little extra help, it may be best to ask for help from a professional to make sure you don’t destroy the couch fabric – and find yourself with an even more expensive problem on your hands. While stains are quite pesky, it’s much better to be safe than sorry. Luckily, the thorough cleaning specialists on Gawin.ph are just a click away.