3 Electrical Shock Prevention Tips You Must Know!

Working with electricity is extremely dangerous especially if you do not have the expertise or the right tools. It’s not only a great danger to yourself but also your home electrical system. Being careful and cautious when handling anything electrical is the best prevention to avoid any danger and damage. Here are a few prevention tips everyone should know. 

 

1. Do not “flip” the circuit breaker as an On and Off switch

 


 

 

A circuit breaker’s function is to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by excess current from an overloaded or short circuit. Little did you know,  it actually causes some damage every time you turn it off and on again. Shutting it off once in a while isn’t an issue, but if you are repeatedly flipping the switch it can cause an electrical hazard. 

It is totally fine and makes perfect sense to switch it off when you’re away on a long trip or holiday. But if you turn it off for frequent and short trips, you’re only doing more damage to the breaker. If your circuit breaker or electrical wiring isn’t working the way it should be, hire our professional electricians and get it sorted.

 

2. Always use dry hands when handling cords or plugs

 

 

 

Handling electrical cords or plugs with wet hands is a big no-no as it could result in getting electrocuted.  We’ve been taught from a young age to not handle electrical plugs or cords when our hands are wet. 

It’s simple science, the water acts as a conductor of electricity which helps electricity to travel to you. If the cord is wet or you are standing in water, remove the cord from the water. Make sure the cord and the water on the floor are completely dried before plugging it in.

 

3. Pull-on the plug, not the cord

 

 

 

A common mistake that everyone has made is pulling the cord when trying to disconnect it from the outlet. Pulling the cord can put excess stress on the wire and can cause the power cable or plug to fray and be damaged.

If your power cable or plug is damaged or frayed, it should be discarded and replaced as soon as possible to prevent any potential accidents from happening. Do not use the damaged or frayed cable and plug unless absolutely necessary. If you are going to avoid handling a cord or plug that has exposed wiring.

Having electrical problems at home? Hire our professionals for home repair and improvement services for a safer and hassle-free experience. Book with during this rainy season to enjoy up to 30% OFF!